Government Strategies Practice Group
The lawyers in the Government Strategies Practice Group have expertise in formulating, assessing, and implementing strategies concerning governmental matters (executive, legislative, and administrative) to achieve our clients’ goals. Members of the group – many of whom have worked in the public sector – maintain a strong network of relationships with policymakers at all levels of government. Reinforced by the expertise in the firm’s other Departments and Practice Groups, our attorneys can develop cost-effective, practical solutions to legal and political problems.
Our work in resolving legislative, regulatory, and administrative issues includes:
- Monitoring, analyzing and providing legal advice on local, state and federal legislation, regulations, policies and orders;
- Drafting legislation or regulations;
- Preparing testimony and advocacy materials;
- Communicating with executive, legislative and administrative officials and bodies;
- Representing clients in administrative and legislative proceedings, including investigative and enforcement proceedings; and
- Identifying and pursuing potential sources of local, state and federal funding
Representation Before Regulatory Bodies
We represent clients in legislative, regulatory and administrative matters at all levels of government. At the local level, our lawyers’ expertise includes:
- Real estate and personal property tax law;
- Zoning and subdivision law; and
- Bidding and procurement law.
- Obtaining regulatory approvals and permits.
We have acted as counsel for large industrial development projects (up to $200 million). We have provided strategic advice, identified and obtained necessary permits, licenses and approvals and rendered legal opinions to secure financing.
At the state level we have broad experience in negotiating with, and obtaining permits from, Massachusetts regulators, including:
- Department of Environmental Protection
- Department of Telecommunications and Energy
- Department of Housing and Community Development
- Executive Office of Transportation and Construction
We have also handled contested administrative proceedings before Massachusetts divisions, boards and commissions, including:
- Division of Administrative Law Appeals
- Appellate Tax Board
- State Building Code Appeals Board
- Labor Relations Commission
- Division of Health Care Finance and Policy
- Division of Employment and Training
- Division of Occupational Safety
- Department of Revenue
At the federal level, we have represented clients in regulatory, investigative and enforcement matters involving agencies, departments and commissions, including:
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- Federal Trade Commission
- Department of Justice, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- Internal Revenue Service
The Government Strategies Practice Group Coordinator is Melinda M. Phelps.